Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners

The book, Imām Ḥusayn The Savior of Islam, compiled by Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi, contains seven sections that discuss different aspects related to the event of Karbalâ. In addition, six sections are written or translated by either Sayyid Saeed Akhtar Rizvi or Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi.

Husayn – The Heir of the Divine Guides (by Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi), takes a general look at the event of Karbalâ in a very factual way. It answers questions such as ‘Who was Imam Husayn?’ ‘What did he do?’, ‘Against whom?’, and ‘Why?’. Due to its factual nature, this section of the book can easily be used in an Islamic History class, since it provides an accurate historical account of what took place through the Shî`ah perspective. The language used is also quite simple and easy for children and adults alike to understand.

The Martyr – An Analysis (by Ayatullah Mutahhari, translated by Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi), discusses the status and sanctity of martyrdom in Islam, using Imam Husayn as an example. This chapter provides the reader with a much deeper insight into the issue of martyrdom and even jihad, even exploring the rationale and way of thinking of a martyr. Furthermore, it puts into perspective the struggle of Imam Husayn and reminds us of his greater mission.

The Martyrs of Karbalâ (by Sayyid Saeed Akhtar Rizvi), is once again quite factual, in that it lists the names of the people martyred in Karbalâ according to: their tribe, their relation to Imam Husayn a, whether they died in Karbalâ or afterwards, and their relationship to the other martyrs. In my view, this section would probably be of most use to a young scholar who is conducting research on the event.

The Family of Imam Husayn (by Sayyid Saeed Akhtar Rizvi), sheds some light on the women and children in Imam Husayn’s a family, particularly about their cultural and familial origins.

Hind or Uraynab, A Good Example of Umayyad Propaganda (by Sayyid Saeed Akhtar Rizvi), is perhaps the most distinct in the entire book. It discusses the narration of an event involving the marriage of Imam Hasan or Imam Husayn to a woman named Uraynab or Hind, who chose to marry the Imam instead of Yazîd. Thus, the narration implies that the conflict between Imam Husayn and Yazîd originated due to a fight over a woman, and had little to do with ‘the Truth’. However, what is strange about this narration is that it has six uniquely different versions. In order to indicate the various flaws in the event, the author chooses to analyze and crosscheck all six of the narrations, and to evaluate them historically. In doing so, the author successfully illustrates an example of an Umayyad-fabricated narration, which happens to have no basis whatsoever.

The Selected Sayings and Letters of Imam Husayn, (by Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi). In most of theses letters and sayings, Imam defines and again re-defines his purpose of traveling to Karbalâ, for example he says: “I am not rising (against Yazîd) as an insolent, or an arrogant [person], or a mischief-monger or as a tyrant. I have risen as I seek to reform the ummah of my grandfather. I wish to bid the good and forbid the evil …”.

The Life of Imam Husayn, which happens to be the longest section of the book, and is reproduced from Shaykh al-Mufid’s Kitãb al-Irshãd (translated by Doctor I. K. A. Howard). It is a semi-detailed account of the entire life of the Imam, starting from his birth, going on to talk about the period of his khilafa, to the cause of his death and his place of burial.

It then includes a chronological list on the life of all fourteen Ma`sûmîn.

This review has been taken and modified from Imam Reza (A.S.) Network.

Language : English
Name of Book : Imām Ḥusayn The Savior of Islam
Compiled by : Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi

PDF http://www.shia-maktab.info/index.php/e ... ad&fid=217

Sheikh Murtudha Alidina explains about laylatul Qa[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 18

*Dua for Day 18 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Short Tafsir on Maudhatain surahs - Suratul Fil an[…]

Short talk on Imam Hasan (a.s.) on the occasion of[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline