Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Discuss general religious issues that affect all of us in our daily lives.
By Muhammad Mahdi
Alams have been used for a long time in Khoja azadari.

But, what does Alam really mean?
Alam means flag, hence we call Hz Abbas Alamdaar because he was the flag bearer of Imam's army.

This makes me wonder. The 'alams' I see in the mosque don't look like flags. They look more like dummy people with clothes on them. With a shoulder like appearance at the top and tied around the waist area, they look more like women than flags.

So why do we continue using them?
By marhum
Salaamun 'Alaikum, Muhammad.

I actually have had that on my mind for quite some time now. I have noticed that none of the other Shi'ah Ithna-Ashariah communities have Alams similar to ours; they all use flags. I will admit that I have started having my doubts regarding this "issue" and have consequently stopped kissing the Alams, not because I don't believe in the 'Aimmah (3) and their ability to intercede on our behalf, but rather because I don't feel there is anything wrong in asking them without clinging on to an object that, according to you, looks like a woman.

I'm glad you brought up this topic. I was speaking about this to an acquaintance from the United Kingdom and he flatly said that Alams can lead to idolatry. Some times it is subconscious. I don't necessarily agree with he had to say but I think that he does have a point. He gave an example of the Aqeeq rings that Muslims usually wear. Many times, when something goes wrong, people think: "I shouldn't have forgotten to wear my Aqeeq ring", whereas Allah, not the ring, is the one that protects us.

Shirk?

Your thoughts please!
By Muntazir-e-Qaim(a.f)
salaamun alakum,
Pls lets not conclude or put comments without research.
let us research the history and then make such comments, otherwise such comments are baseless.
According to aalim network ,thefollowing reply was received from the respected scholar:
Mulla Asghar.

Question:

Salaam 'Alaykum,

Did any of the Imams tell us to keep replica 'alams (flags of Imam Husain
(as) ) in our mosques? Personally, I don't see anything wrong in it if
these 'alams we keep at least looked like replica flags of Imam Husain (as),
to somehow remind us of the Imam and his sacrifice but the problem is that
these 'alams we keep don't look like flags at all!

They look more like saris (a type of silkish clothing worn by indian women)
on sticks. Why do we keep 'alams that are blue, green, yellow, orange... I
would really like to know if the Imams (as) instructed us to do these
things, especially when it comes to the amount of veneration we give to
these things. I am embarassed to even bring outsiders to our center because
they may get the impression that we are some sect of hindus that worship
idols. People actually kiss these things and hug them and tie their
children on them then have their children wear these strings for the rest of
the year. Isn't this going too far? I really don't feel comfortable kissing
these sari on stick like replica 'alams but if the Imams (as) instucted us
to do so then I have no problem in doing so. Please tell me the right thing
to do.

Answer:

The 'Alam or flag of the standard-bearer had great significance in the army.
As long as the standard could be seen, the morale of the soldiers was
maintained. In history, we find a reference that Imam Husein (A) folded up
his flag after the death of his standard-bearer Abbas (A). Hence the 'Alams
we see today are replicas of flags furled up,
although in other places the
flag is displayed unfurled, or held up by two people at either side, etc.

Unfortunately, in their misguided enthusiasm people have introduced rituals
that have caused the situation you describe. These rituals include draping
the 'Alam in various coloured Saris, the "small" 'Alams in the name of the
children of Kerbala, the tying of threads etc.

Veneration of the 'Alam and other Shabeeh has not been prohibited, for they
have their place in the remembrance of the tragedy; however excessive
hugging and kissing as you have described is improper and should be discouraged.

Wasalaam
By marhum
So would you agree that the Alams we find today are a little excessive?

I find it strange that it is only the Khojas, Pakistanis, and Indians are the only ones (that I know of) that use the fancy Alams. Why can't we just use flags like everyone else?
By Muntazir-e-Qaim(a.f)
Salaam 'Alaykum,
So would you agree that the Alams we find today are a little excessive?
let me re-qoute marhum Mulla Asgher (may Allah (swt) elevate his status) :

"Veneration of the 'Alam and other Shabeeh has not been prohibited, for they
have their place in the remembrance of the tragedy
; however excessive
hugging and kissing
as you have described is improper and should be discouraged."

Hence , we should respect the alams as it has its own respect, but as stated above excessiveness to the extent it shows as if we are a sect from hindus ,is not allowed.

wassalaam.
By abuali
Interesting discussion here.

Since we have a large number of members from Dar es Salaam on Ask, what is our take on what happens in our imambargah when the alams and the laash is brought out after the majalis? Is there any excessiveness as per the response of Mulla Asghar?
By Mazhar
Looking at how the question was asked and after reading the response,i think there is a little excessiveness,however the question as to whether its allowed or not allowed in Islam has not been answered simply that it should be discouraged...or should i take that as "not allowed"
By qarrar
marhum wrote:So would you agree that the Alams we find today are a little excessive? I find it strange that it is only the Khojas, Pakistanis, and Indians are the only ones (that I know of) that use the fancy Alams.
Once you remove Khojas, Pakistanis, and Indians Shias you are only left with Shias from the Middle East. Out of these most live in either Iran or Iraq where you have most of the masooms zarihs. Doesn’t that explain why we have replica zarihs and alams? Now you may find that they are presented a little extravagantly but doesn’t that depend on ones personal taste?

Talking of excesses, doesn’t an argument exist that the gold on Imam Hussein (as) and Hz Abbas haraam is a little extravagant. So should we petition and lobby for that to be stripped as-well?

Ghandi once said be the change you wish to see in the world. If we all stop our own indulgences and extravagance perhaps we would be in a better position to criticise how we remember and mark the martyrdom of our religious Saints.
By marhum
First of all, I made sure I said "that I know of" when I made the statement regarding the cultures that use 'Alams because I certainly am not knowledgeable in this subject.

Second, I believe the argument is regarding replicas of the shrine and not the shrine itself.

I went to a center here in LA during the nights of Muharram, and as soon as I walked in it seemed as though I was standing in a temple. On the stage they had this beautiful arrangement of 'Alams and replicas of shrines, but the what had me concerned is the fact that people were doing sujoud in front of them. I realize that at the end of the day it all comes down to your intentions, but what about the impression that this creates in the eyes of the non-Shi'a? I mean, even as a Shi'a myself, I was a bit taken aback by what I saw.

We live in a world today where people are constantly looking for excuses to harass us. Sayyed Seestani and Sayyed Khamanei have both stressed in their resalah the importance of creating and maintaining a positive impression of Shi'a Islam upon others. It just seems to me that having Shi'as bowing in front of replicas and things of that nature isn't helping us to do that, even though it may be with the best of intentions.

Wa Allahu A3lam.
By abuali
I think you have raised a question that perhaps many of us may have asked us at one time.

I have thought over it a lot, and like you said, it boils down to intention. Since our intention is intervention and respect and not worship, its not a sin.

You have raised a valid point about impressions of the non-shia world. With regards to that i feel every individual needs to act upon their intelligence:

For example, if i feel doing a certain act may cause harm to Islam, then as per my intelligence, i would be obliged not to do it. At the same time, someone else at the same time/place may not think doing the same act would cause any harm to Islam and it would be ok for him/her to do it as per his/her intelligence.

This i believe applies to all things that are not haraam neither wajib. Situations and our understanding should guide us to what actions to do/or not to do.
ZIONIST CULT PROPAGANDA

Are the Jewish people really facing genocide or an[…]

Global supply for Palestine

In Gaza, Palestinian children keenly appreciate th[…]

Hypocrisy of arabs towards gaza

Not only is she an huge influence, but a mother a […]

Recent news that has been circulating talks about […]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline