Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Discuss general religious issues that affect all of us in our daily lives.
By Muntazir
Bismillahir Rahmaanir Rahim

As Salaamu 'aleykum

I'm sorry to interrupt.

Sister Fatemeh Zahra, could you please give us some proofs on the following (an Ayah or Hadith):
Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:30 am

2. Qur'an is poetry
Thank you.
By Fatimah Zahra Karim
Wa alaykum salaam Muntazir

My proof is not from Hadith or from the Qur'an. It is simply from the definition of the English word 'Poetry'.
po·em (pō'əm)
n.
1. A verbal composition designed to convey experiences, ideas, or emotions in a vivid and imaginative way, characterized by the use of language chosen for its sound and suggestive power and by the use of literary techniques such as meter, metaphor, and rhyme.
2. A composition in verse rather than in prose.
3. A literary composition written with an intensity or beauty of language more characteristic of poetry than of prose....
Source: http://www.answers.com

and
po·et·ry (pō'ĭ-trē)
n.
3. A piece of literature written in meter; verse.
4. Prose that resembles a poem in some respect, as in form or sound...
6. A quality that suggests poetry, as in grace, beauty, or harmony....
You must have noticed while reading the Qur'an in Arabic that Allah (swt) uses many metaphors. The Qur'an is written in verses (a charachteristic of poetry) and not in paragraphs (as in prose). Also in many Surahs, all the words in the end of the verses rhyme with each other, which is again poetic.

umm...you seem to have a point asking this. Is it because of the verse in suratul Yasin saying 'wa ma 'alamnahush shi'ra..."? If you are, I checked the commentary of the verse and it says
'Poetry' here means proposition based on imaginary data exciting human emotions.
(commentary by Ayatullah Agha H.M.M. Pooya Yazdi and S.V. Mir Ahmed Ali)

I hope that explanation is ok...

Amaal Eve 17th - (night preceeding day 17th) A ver[…]

Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline