Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Discuss general religious issues that affect all of us in our daily lives.
By peaceful_soul
Salaams
I was just wondering why we are not allowed to eat Hindu food but we are allowed to eat Christian food.
Some one told me that we can not eat Hindu food bcoz they do shirk (associating a partner to God) but technically Christians do the same thing they say that Jesus is the son of God so they are doing shirk too

Can some one plz explain
Thank you
By Muhammad Mahdi
Salam

I too had the same question. Will try asking Dr Alidina.
By zalidina
actually according to ayatullah seestani we can eat food made by a hindu as long as we are not sure or dont know that the hindu has touched the food with wet hands. u can read the ruling on it in "a code if practice for muslims in the west". its in part 2, chapter 1 - eating n drinking, rule no 155.
By Muntazir
Bismillahi Ar-Rahmani, Ar- Rahim.

(All of those who do not believe in the Imamate and oneness of God is considered to be a Kafir. And Islam prohibits any associating with such people due to their influence on our faith. Therefore, eating their food or drinking water at their houses is Najis.)

Regarding the Christians:

The Christians believe in the trinity of the Godhead. The Father (God), The Son (Jesus), and the Holy Ghost (Jibraeel). They believe that each of them have a special quality and that together they constitute the Godhead. The Qur’an flays their assertion thus:

"Allah is the third of the three." But there is no God but One.”
(Surah Maidah 5:73)

The Holy Qur’an clearly states that Allah is not one-third of a God. He is the One and only One God.

The belief in Trinity is not exclusive to the Christians. Hindus and Buddhists also ascribe to it.

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.s) says:

“When a single morsel of Haraam enters the stomach of a person and becomes a part of his body, the angels of the sky and the earth curse him.”
(Safinatul Behaar)

“Prayers of the one who eats a sngle morsel of Haraam are not accepted for forty nights nor are his invocations accepted for forty days. Every piece of flish that grows by consuming Haraam is most deserving of being burnt in hell-fire and even a single morsel consumed causes some growth of flesh.”
(Safinatul Behaar)

“One who wishes to have his invocations accepted must keep aloof from Haraam food and unlawful earnings.”
(Al Kafi)

Eating Haraam gives rise to every type of infamy. Whereas, the Halaal morsel is the cause of every kind of goodness and charity.

“When a man eats Halaal food an angel stands over his head and prays for his forgiveness till he finishes eating.”
(Safinatul Behaar)

Well, this is all I could collect for now. Islam is very strict about consuming food which is not Halal. If a non-muslim asks you to why their food is not allowed to muslims? Simply reply them by saying, "everything my religion says has a strong reason to it." Muslims are only allowed to eat food that is Halal.

However, there is no objection in eating or drinking of branded products at a non-muslims house. I.e. Pepsi, Nutella, Steers, Kilimanjaro water, Maji Poa etc. One needs to be sure that the food or water has not yet touched by the non-muslim. So whenever you feel being in such a situation where you can't reject an offer at a non-muslims house, then simply ask for a pepsi. Lol!

There's another excuse which I have been using, but I'm not sure if it's allowed. Whenever non-muslims offer me something at their house, I tell them that I'm fasting. So they don't force me to eat or drink water at their house, and I free myself from obtaining Haraam food. And if they give me a take away, I simply give it to a needy one on the streets. So before you use this as to save yourself from eating Haraam food, please confirm from a Scholar if it's permitted to do so in such situations.

I have Quoted the Traditions from the book Ghuna- e- Kabira by Ayatullah Sayed Abdul Husain Dastaghaib Shirazi. If there are any mistakes, please do not hasitate to correct me. I hope this information will be pleasing.

Thank you.

Muntazir Al Mahdi
By abuali
zalidina...can you kindly quote the exact ruling as it is printed...there may be a slight misinterpretation.

Muntazir...thanks for the enlightening post...I personally believe honesty has the best effect...but we need to learn how to be humble and explain our beliefs with the right manners. For we are dealing with creation of Allah whom Allah loves like us...and it is for His pleasure that we have to do what we do...so we should do it definitely but in a humble polite manner.
By Muntazir
I pray you all are in good health.

I just wanted to say about a few things I wrote earlier on "Pepsi & Nutella"

I've recently come across a booklet which condemned pepsi and all Nestle brand as they are connected to Israeli's. So please cover that. Other things are, Mc Donalds, Intel, Marks & Spencer, Pizza Hut and many more. Please try to keep away from these products as they finance the Israeli's.

Allah Hafeez

Muntazir Al Mahdi

Qum, Iran
By zalidina
here the rule quoted word to word from the book i mentioned above
"A muslim is allowed to eat the food prepared by a non muslim who is not from the ahlul kitab (eg hindu, buddhist) provided he does not know or is not sure that the non muslim touched the food with wetness: and provided he does not know or is not sure that the food consists of what is forbidden to him like intoxicating drinks."
By abuali
Thanks zalidina

The rule confirms to our normal set of beliefs...in which when not being sure, we are given the benefit of the doubt...except ofcourse in the case of meat (which we have to verify if not sure).

The idea behind the avoiding of consuming of food prepared by polytheists is a simple one. Food passes on a lot of things to ones soul...including the traits and beliefs...

Thats one of the reasons pork is not allowed; for the pig is immoral and unclean...and eating its meat passes those traits on to us.
By Muntazir
I pray you all are in good health as I am here.

First of all, I would ask that, before the person has the food of a non Muslim, is he or she sure that the non Muslim didn't touch the knife, bowl, vegetables, spoon and all the necessary things which are used for cooking? If so, then how was the food prepared? It is obvious that the non Muslim (not from the Ahlul Kitab) touched all the things.

If a Muslim is 100% sure that the food wasn't prepared and not touched by a non-muslim then I guess its fine. However, this is what I think, so please try to research on it or ask a scholar before you follow it.

However, I had a discussion with a few friends on the same topic and I came to knowledge that, if you visit a non muslims house, and if they offer you water or something to eat, and if denying it would hurt them then it would be okay if you have it once and later ask Allah for forgiveness. Surely, the punishment for having unlawful food is a severe punishment. (Please read my previous reply or see 'The Greater Sins' By Ayatullah Dastaghaib Sherazi)

However, it even depends on what your intensions were before visiting their house.

It is even better if you let them know of how Islam views on such things. Not only informing them, but you will also be letting them know of the things that are forbidden in your religion.

Well, I'm actually restricted with time at the moment, but I will inshallah try to research more on it and write it down.

Thank you.

Muntazir Al Mahdi.
By zalidina
Last muharram we had a maulana here n in 1 of his q&a sessions he was asked about this n he said that we r allowed to eat the food as long as we r not 100% sure that the non muslim touched it with wet hands. he explained in detail by saying in most case we can eat the food coz we can nver be 100% that the non muslim has touched with wet hands unless ofcourse we saw them do that. he also said if we dont know the person's religion we can eat their food even if they touched it with wet hands n we dont have to ask them wat thier religion is. hope this help. i cant remember the maulana's name, it mite have been sheikh arif, wat i do remeber is that he was from birmingham.
By Muhammad Mahdi
hasin wrote:Thanks zalidina

The rule confirms to our normal set of beliefs...in which when not being sure, we are given the benefit of the doubt...except ofcourse in the case of meat (which we have to verify if not sure).
I was watchng Peace Tv and the shiekh said in case of doubt one should avoid the food.
I guess the sunni view s dfferent and risk free.
By Muhammad Mahdi
Christians do shrk but they have been given a special place n the quran being ahlel kitab. Hindus dont occupy this postion. This is what I understood from Dr Alidina's lecture.

Sheikh Murtudha Alidina explains about laylatul Qa[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 18

*Dua for Day 18 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Short Tafsir on Maudhatain surahs - Suratul Fil an[…]

Short talk on Imam Hasan (a.s.) on the occasion of[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline