Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
The Holy Month, one of the most sacred in Islam is here again. This is the place to discuss and post facts and everything else about fasting and Ramadhan.
Excerpt from Imam Ali’s (a.s) advice to his son - Nahjul Balagha
  • · My first and foremost advice to you, my son, is to fear Allah. Be His obedient servant. Keep His thought always fresh in your mind. Be attached to and carefully guard the principles (Islam) which connect you with Him. Can any other connection be stronger, more durable and more lasting than this to command greater respect and consideration or to replace it?

· Do not talk about things which you do not know. Do not speculate about and pass verdicts on subjects about which you are not in a position to form an opinion and are not called upon to do so.

· Develop the habit of patience against sufferings, calamities and adversities. This virtue of patience is one of the highest values of morality and nobility of character and it is the best habit which one can develop. Trust in Allah and let your mind seek His protection in every calamity and suffering because you will thus entrust yourself and your affairs to the Best Trustee and to the Mightiest Guardian. Do not seek help or protection from anybody but Allah. Reserve your prayers, your requests, your solicitations, your supplications, and your entreaties to Him and Him alone because to grant, to give, to confer and to bestow, as well as to withhold, to deprive, to refuse, and to debar, lies only in His Power. Ask as much of His Blessings and seek as much of His Guidance as you can.

· My dear son, so far as your behaviour with other human beings is concerned, let your 'self' act as scales to judge its goodness or wickedness. Do unto others as you wish others to do unto you.

· Returns of hard but respectable labour of a craft or profession, though small in quantity, are better than the wealth which you amass through sin and wickedness.

· Nobody can guard your secrets better than you.

· One who talks too much makes most mistakes.

· One who often reflects, develops his foresight.

· By keeping company with good people, you will develop your character and by avoiding the society of wicked persons, you will abstain from wickedness.

· Livelihood acquired by foul means is the worst form of livelihood

· Take advantage of opportunities before they turn their backs on you.

· Treat those with consideration and kindness over whom you have power and authority.

· Take care so as not to be fooled by flattery.

· Do good to your brother when he is bent upon doing harm to you.

· Do not develop friendship with the enemy of your friend otherwise your friend will turn into an enemy.

· Keep a complete control over your temper and anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results than such a control.

· Do not disappoint a person who holds a good opinion of you and do not make him change his opinion.

· Do not ill-treat members of your family and do not behave with them as if you are the most cruel man alive.

· Do not get worried and depressed over the oppressions because whoever oppresses you is in reality doing himself harm and is trying to find ways for your good.

· Never ill-treat a person who has done good to you.

· A friend is like a relation and a true friend is one who speaks well of you even behind your back.

· Often close relations behave more distantly than strangers and often strangers help you more than your nearest relatives.

· Weaknesses and shortcomings are not the things to talk about.

· Opportunities do not repeat themselves.

· Every arrow of yours will not hit the bull's eye.

· When status changes your conditions also change.

· Divide and distribute work among your servants so that you can hold each one responsible for the work entrusted to them. This is a better and smoother way of carrying on a work than each one of them throwing the responsibility of every bit of work on somebody else.

· Treat the members of your family with love and respect because they act as wings with which you fly and as hands which support you and fight for you. They are people towards whom you turn when you are in trouble and in need.

My dear son! After having given these pieces of advice to you I entrust you to the Lord. He will help, guide and protect you in this world and the Hereafter. I beseech Him to take you under His protection in both the worlds.

[After returning from the Battle of Siffin, Imam Ali (a) gave certain pieces of advice to one of his sons. He wrote them in the form of a will. They deal with almost every aspect of life which goes a long way to make a man successful in life - brave, humane, generous, virtuous and pious. To read the entire letter refer to Nahjul Balagha letter 31]

REF: Friday Supplement
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline