Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
A section dedicated to reviews of books ... good, bad, excellent or aweful...let others know what you thought of books that you have read...
By Tayyaba
Salaam Alaikum....
i have heard that we cannot read this book due to wat is written against the prophet ... is it true??...

wasalam..
:)
By Yas
Yeah, the book is a disgrace in which rushdie attemps to parallel the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) with a character mahun in his book. The book portrays the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) in a blasphemous and disgusting way which is, needless to say, untrue.

What I'm not too sure however is whether we're not allowed to read the book because of its content, or because purchasing it might boost rushdie's book sales. If it's the latter reason, you could always violate copyright, take a photocopy of the book and read it. That way rushdie won't get a single cent. :lol:
By Tayyaba
oh ok...
By minhaal2000
i think we should read it if we are strong in our understanding of our religion.....

by reading it we can understand their ways of thinking and be able to defend such concepts that they present...
By Tayyaba
yah i mean many jus so no matter wat u aint suppose to read that book...be it ur faith is strong or weak.. :?
By Muhammad Mahdi
I agree with minhaal
we should red and be able to defend Islam when someone who has read the book approaches us.
By abuali
I disagree.

If someone approaches a muslim with what rushdie has written, a muslim should not even waste his time with that person.

The reason is, someone who favours rushdies book is clearly prejudiced and doesnt know what he is talking about.

Discussions with those who hold differing opinions is good...as long as its beneficial...but there is no point discussing anything with someone who is bent upon insulting your faith!
By minhaal2000
i dont think so...

i know even the ulamas must have read the book to know the content... I remember someone asking this question to a scholar dont rememer who and he said it was ok if we were strong in our faith and understand out religion...

these threats are real...ignoring them does not solve the problem..

the book aims to create doubts in our minds about the prophet...in on way its good like Br hasnain Rajabali said....when we clear such doubts and refute such arguments we become stronger and firm in our understanding of Islam...

Imagine the Ayatullah issuing a Death sentence on rushdi without having read the book...
By Tayyaba
i have asked many,they have said we r not allwed ...as hasin said wastage of time...and why read somethin when u knw it has been written against ur prophet...i started reading it like 2 yrs bak pachi i didnt understand i mean english was quite deep so jus left it .. nyhow i guess to be in the safe side i would not read it...
By abuali
minhaal - i didnt mean to say that the ulemas shouldnt read it

I meant you and I (and people like us) should not read it. Firstly because our knowledge is very limited...hence, before we decide to face doubts that are being raised by others, we need to enlighten ourselves.

Secondly because you already have the verdict of the Ulema that the work is totally prejudiced
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline