Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
A section dedicated to reviews of books ... good, bad, excellent or aweful...let others know what you thought of books that you have read...

Do u like to read?

Reading is like oxygen to me!
71%
So-so..
29%
Not my cup of tea!
No votes
0%
By Umm.aly
Salaams..
Came across this real nice book in Tabligh Bookstore (Dar es Salaam)
The title is One Hundred fifty lessons for life written by Ayatullah N. Makarem Shirazi
Its based on sayings of the Aimmah and simple lessons we derive from their lessons.. its a light read and very simple nothing heavy. Ideal for a bedtime read!
Price of the book currently is Tshs 1,000/-.
By maz
Salaams
Nice to see im not the only harry potter fan......Some of the really good books ive come across include The Godfather By Mario Puzo(this is a must read)
Others are A matter of honor ....one of the first novels i read think it was by jeffrey archer(his books are pretty good the likes of kane n abel)
The Hobbit is also a very very good book its the prequel to lord of the rings
All for now
By Umm.aly
Yup i found a matter of honour pretty gud! my fav jeffery archer book todate is The elevnth commandment which i just finished reading for the 4th time! :)
Hav u read the Prodigal Daughter the sequel to Kane and abel? i bought it coz i cudnt wait to borrow from sumone but i wasnt all tht impressed by it as i was in Kane and abel..
By maz
Wow Four times!!! Cant blame u i read potter five 7 times(maybe more)
Yeah ive read the prodigal daughter...got shouted at as well was only 13 wen i read it :) n i honestly dont remember it very well though it wasnt as.......fast paced?as kane n abel
Do u know wer i can get cheap books or if there is a library here as buying does get expensive...id appreciate it
By Umm.aly
Yeah ive read the prodigal daughter...got shouted at as well was only 13 wen i read it n i honestly dont remember it very well though it wasnt as.......fast paced?as kane n abel
Yeah its not as thrilling as Kane and Abel was..
Do u know wer i can get cheap books or if there is a library here as buying does get expensive...id appreciate it
Well for cheap books i think Samora Avenue/Independence street would have them but i doubt if you will get a gud choice.. most of them are all second hand ones..
i belive sometimes 'a novel idea' at slipway holds a megasale where you cn get sum gud books at a cheaper price then wat they wud normally sell..

As for library i think british council would have a gud collection m not sure tho.. however they gv u a tour of their library before you decide to register there as a member..

Dar es Salaam Printers have quite a good collection of books, but unfortunately they r quite expensive too..
By Muhammad Mahdi
You can buy books from TBST (Code canada), but not much choice
By kulsham
i like reading online blogs.
By Syed Kazim
has anyone read "When Darkness Comes"? or "If you could see what i hear"?
By Syed Kazim
kulsham wrote:i like reading online blogs.
do u blog?
By maz
Salams
Thanks all for ur replies wil try goin to these places
One more book which i liked was EMPEROR-the gates of Rome there are four parts in this series(read only 1) but definitely worth a read..its a fictional book on the life of julius caesar
By ramzan
to tell you the truth i hate reading books which have 500 pages,i believe thr just a waste of time(its not the same like watching a movie).but once i was going thru a lib and i came across a book 150 pages 'night without end', an action adventure story. this book changed my idea on books i used to believe books are crap(and i still cant read the 500 ones i wonder how ppl can?)
if one says he's readin a book to increase his knowledge or depth then i say thers a better way. one can also increase his knowledge by watching a movie, discovery, natgeo, hangin out etc.
books are not the only source of intellect
By knowledgeseeker
Salaams all...
Just like FAB, I had decline H.P a number of times b4 getting hooked to it.. its real kewl...
About John Grisham - He's amazing.. I love his Book the Street Lawyer - amazing.. my favourite.. I also like Jeffery Archer.. hes amazing too..

About Daughters of Another Path, I would say its amazing too.. read it quite a while ago tooo...

I would recommend ''The Elexir of Love''. this is a biography of Shaikh Rajab Ali Kahyyat. An illetrate man who reached the heights of piety.. That book is amazing.. I would highly reccomend it to everybody!!
Ramadan Daily Duas - # 18

*Dua for Day 18 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Short Tafsir on Maudhatain surahs - Suratul Fil an[…]

Short talk on Imam Hasan (a.s.) on the occasion of[…]

Amaal Eve 17th - (night preceeding day 17th) A ver[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline