Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Doctor M. Shabbir is currently answering medical questions

Moderators: Syed Kazim, Muhammad

By Mohamed
(wasalam) hasin

What you are referring to is called Patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS), also referred to as runner’s knee. As for your question regarding jogging on tarmac, I am yet to find appropriate medical literature linking the two. What I have found though, is that there is an inherent risk that comes with jogging especially if the technique is not correct. There have been reports of some professional athletes who developed PFPS despite running on dirt or asphalt and never on concrete. The issue here is the high impact that the knees are exposed to during this exercise and I believe brisk walking probably can contribute to it as well because it is a milder variant of the jog. Issues like Obesity, inappropriate footwear and over exertion can hasten and aggravate knee problems. It’s always best to adhere to a good technique.

That having been said, this message should definitely not be used as a pretense to avoid jogging. It is a very beneficial exercise and recommended by most doctors. Problems like the ones mentioned above are not so common and the key to good performance is a good technique. I think it is always a good idea to jog off the tarmac. In any case at least that will help avoid accidents with speeding vehicles.

Hope this information is useful.
Ramadhan Daily Duas- # 17

Dua for Day 17 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah, […]

https://youtu.be/hk2bRbbavCY?si=6Y53rBBj5rHfPNmw

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 16

*Dua for Day 16 | Holy Month of Ramadhan* O Allah[…]

Ramadan Daily Duas - # 15

Dua for Day 15 | Holy Month of Ramadhan O Allah G[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline