Discuss & Debate | Share | Learn

www.ask.or.tz

Our Partners
Shaykh Muhammad Kamran has been pursuing Islamic Studies at Al Mustafa International University Qom since 2012 and has specialized in the areas of Fiqh and Usool. He also holds a degree in Accounting. He is currently serving as the Head of Academics for the Hussayni Madressa Dar es Salaam.

Moderator: KamranAli

By Insaan
Salaams
My sister in-law passed away 2 years back and she left behind some cash and jewelry which is in the custody of my mother in-law. We wait until her daughter (father too has passed away and this daughter is the only child) reaches a good age (she is now 17 years) for us to give it to her. However, I recently realised that the money has not been khumsed. Jewelry has been worn by marhuma herself in the past. However, a part of my family believes since the daughter is not earning then she is not liable to pay khums. What does sharia tell us here?
By KamranAli
Point 1: There is no khums on inherited property even if it stays more than a year with the inheritor.

Point 2: If a person inherits some property and knows that the person from whom he inherited it did not pay khums on it, he must pay khums on it.
Similarly, if the property itself is not liable for khums but the heir knows that the person from whom he inherited it owed some khums, he must pay khums on it from the deceased’s estate.
However, in both cases, if the person from whom he inherited it did not believe in paying khums or never paid it, then it is not necessary for the heir to pay the khums owed by the deceased.
https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2280/
DHUL QA' DAH SUNDAY SALAT

The month of Dhul-Qa`dah is the first of the Sacre[…]

"The 12 Shining Imams" Series In this p[…]

FREE PALESTINE

Cambridge University’s Trinity College has m[…]

$1 billion in ammunition to Israel

According to two members of Congress, the administ[…]

Ask4help Counseling Helpline